I can't say this enough, it amazes me how the internet allows people to connect that may never otherwise speak to one another. Although my musical tastes include many genres of music and from all over the world, I'm always happiest to let people know about Canadian artists. This is especially true for talented ones as is the case with Chloe Charles. This Ontario singer is someone you need to pay attention to, she hasn't even begun to reach her peak.
Chloe Charles is a very talented singer and it comes as no surprise that she has made it this far. As I'm writing this I'm listening to one of her songs "Soon on a Snowflake". She has a clean sound and the song gets you from the first line, there is no stopping or pausing this track. I reached out to Chloe who isn't just busy but at the time of her reply is on tour in Europe and working on new music. It was greatly appreciated to have her take some time for me and everyone out there. Here's what she had to share with us.
1) Could you please introduce yourself and tell us who you are?
Well, hello there! I'm Chloe. I write songs and sing them and enlist amazingly talented musicians to play with me. I love classical music and have a great appreciation for experimentation and courage. I am trying to live my dream while giving back something positive to this absurd society.
2) Where are you from? I'm from Toronto Canada but spent most of my childhood in a forest near Claremont Ontario. I like to say I was raised by coyotes...Tehehe
3) How did you get into music and why? I was extremely shy but always wanted to sing. While I was at university studying psychology, my Dad asked me what I really wanted to do and I said, sing. So I took a year off of University, worked on some r&b/jazz stuff with a producer but in the end I discovered that I didn't want to go in that direction. Went back to school to finish my degree. One summer I realized that I needed to be able to be the composer of my songs so picked up the guitar and taught myself to play. I went to Germany with the goal to write 12 new songs ready to perform the following year. I finished my degree because I don't like leaving things unfinished and do love learning. Following, I gave myself 1 year no stress to test out music as a career. Within 6 months I knew I made the right decision. And here we are.
4) Who are your influences in music?
Thats endless. I can't even go there. They spawn from authors to films to musicians. This video says it better than I ever have before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=098kRwsj5Zs
5) What is your focus and some of your goals ?
My focus is being authentic, creating music that is real and beautiful and moving. I want to connect with people by sharing my most honest feelings and thoughts. No secrets! No shame! I'm just trying to survive this rat race by finding my own way within it.
6) Where can people hear you online?
This is a recent show I did in France: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7xFVQJLpug
But you can find me all over youtube and of course on my website.
7) Your website address? Facebook?
8) What if anything do you want the fans to know about you?
I never really felt like I fit into this society but when you show me that my music speaks to you, I feel as though we've created our own little world within this one.
9) Any advice for people looking to pursue a dream of music?
Just try it. Everything is worth trying. You can always change your mind.
10) How would you describe your sound?
Deep, playful, lush, quirky, sombre, open, honest
11) When and where is your next show so fans can get the full music experience?
12) Is there any charity you support or would like to help bring attention to?
Well, right now I am doing a crowd funding campaign for my next album and 5% of anything raised above my goal goes to WWF. I am an animal freak. Animals are so pure and cuddly (At least in my mind. I would be ok with dying by being eaten by a Lion as long as I got the chance to cuddle it).
!3) Any final thoughts or comments for the fans out there?
If you are a fan, thank you so much for supporting what I do and being part of the little world I've/we've created. As mentioned, I'm raising funds for my 2nd album and need some help. Any contribution helps, from donations to Facebook posts, tweets to simple word of mouth. http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/chloecharles